Sunday, March 1, 2015

Sorority Is...Accountability

On September 1st, 2014 my life changed for the better.

That was my Bid Day and that was when I gained 115 friends, sisters, and allies that would become my rock during the rough sea that we call “college." Going into recruitment, I knew that the sorority women called each other “sisters,” and I will admit that I was skeptical. I remember thinking, "Surely these women cannot all be best friends!" But, now I know just how wrong I was. I ran into the arms of my best friends and yes, my sisters.


I quickly became aware of the tight bond that my chapter has, and I, the friendly neighborhood introvert, was blessed enough to be able to tap into it. As a part of the new member program, the first wave of accountability came into light: study hours. At first I will admit I was annoyed. I am an honors student that cherishes her grades a little too much. So, why did I have to document that yes, I do study? The answer is simple: accountability. Now, I love that I have people watching out for me in this aspect of college life.


I also gained sisters in Christ.


I am religious. I love Jesus with all of my heart, soul, and might. It means everything to me that I can go to church services and always have someone that wants to go with me. I have women that will pray for me. I have sisters that know my battles as a woman and they fight those battles alongside me. That, to me, is huge. It is refreshing to have the kind of spiritual accountability that only my sisters can give me.

While joining a sorority was one of the scariest plunges that I have ever taken, I am forever thankful for these friendships, forged in love and accountability, forever.


Post Written by Guest Blogger, Hannah Schrieber; Edited by UNA Panhellenic

No comments:

Post a Comment