Sunday, June 7, 2015

The Hollywood Myth {MythBusters}


When you hear the word "sorority" what do you think? Most would probably think about something they saw off of a movie, right? Where the girls are fighting for that top position in their sorority and on campus, and they are probably ditzy and self-centered. 

Erase those memories right now. Many common misconceptions about Greek life come from Hollywood. Many movies and TV shows depict sorority life in a negative manner. They show the members of one sorority hating girls just because they are in different sororities, partying with fraternity boys, and being unaccepting to girls based off looks. After being in a sorority I have learned that these aren’t true. 

While there is healthy competition between sororities in intramurals, Step Sing, Step Show, etc. I would never hate another girl because they are in a different sorority. There is no rule that says you can't be friends with girls in other sororities. A few of my best friends are even in different sororities than I am. We have grown close and appreciate our friendship regardless of what sorority we are in. So when you go through recruitment I know it's tempting to want to go where your best friend wants to go, but you need to make that choice for you. And while sometimes girls go to the fraternity houses that is not all we do. We do lots of other things on weekends with our sisters too. We hang out on our sorority floor or go to the movies. However, our night doesn’t end in pillow fights like most movies. 

Movies like The House Bunny show girls having to change their appearance for a sorority. I think this more than all the others is the furthest from the truth. Girls are not judged based on appearance but based on personality, friendship, and loyalty to one another. 

The girls joining our sororities are girls that we will be friends with for the rest of our lives. Many of these movies depict sorority girls as the dumb, self righteous women with lots of money, but Hollywood has it all wrong. The truth is that girls in sororities are actually some of the most down to earth, caring people in the world. The money part isn’t true either. I personally pay for my sorority by myself by working a summer job. It’s not about the clothes I wear or the money I spend, but the people I make lasting friendships and share my memories with.

Written by Emily Manush; Edited by UNA Panhellenic

No comments:

Post a Comment