Monday, April 13, 2015

Be-YOU-tiful {Be Yourself}


Being yourself isn’t something you always think of when you think of about being in sorority. People tend to think girls in a sorority all wear the same things, think the same thoughts and are all just housewives in training. Well I am here to tell you that is not what being in a sorority is like, even though I thought the exact same thing as I went through recruitment. Now looking back on, it I think of how wrong I was. I have learned not only so much about myself but also about my sorority and how we are everything but a stereotype.

We are a group of women who are leaders on and off campus, in our communities, and we are scholars. We encourage each other to go out for all kinds of different things. We study with each other and support our own philanthropy along with other philanthropies. Being in a sorority has given me the confidence to step out of my comfort zone and step up and become a leader within my chapter. When I was a freshman going through recruitment I never thought I would end up holding so many different positions in my organization that all taught me something different about myself.

Being a member of an all female organization you would think we would all just be mean to one another but it really is just the opposite. My sisters encourage me to be the best version of myself and to never let anything or anyone get me down. They have been by my side on my best and worst days and never asked me to be anything but myself. That is what I think be-YOU-tiful means. It means to always be true to yourself, and like I said I have never been asked to change myself, I’ve only been encouraged to be myself.

Having that kind of that encouragement is important to all women, especially in today’s society. Women are so critical on themselves and having that support system of women always telling you to shoot for the stars is so important. I am never afraid to do something because I know even if I fail I have my sisters to pick me up and dust me off and tell me to just try again. I have never felt like I couldn’t do something or that I wasn’t supported in the decisions I was making, because I knew I always had my sisters there to count on.

I am truly blessed to be a part of an organization full of such supportive women, who always make me feel like being myself is okay and that I should never be anything but that.

Post Written by Guest Blogger, Hallie Mitchell; Edited by UNA Panhellenic



                  

No comments:

Post a Comment