Monday, April 6, 2015

Be-You-tiful {Through the Media}

                  As I flip through the new addition of People magazine, I check out all the perfection and drama that is the epitome of Hollywood. I envy Carrie Underwood’s entire life. I mean, she has perfect legs, a perfect husband, a perfect baby, and she can sing. It really isn’t fair to all the rest of us. I also scoff at the celebrities who have let their bikini bodies go. I am constantly consuming media for celebrities. At any given moment, my TV is sure to be on E!. I wouldn’t dare miss a rerun of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. If Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds never got married, I would be little less complete. Hello, #relationshipgoals. We are always looking up to celebrities, but have you wondered what this media is doing to our self-esteem and overall confidence?

Being a college girl and a regular consumer of popular culture, I look up to celebrities. I envy Lauren Conrad’s collection of Chanel purses and the amount of Louboutin heels Blake Lively owns. If I only was as pretty as Hayden Panettiere or as witty as Jennifer Lawrence. It makes me feel as though I am not adequate enough. Okay, I know I’m never going to be famous, but maybe I can take an Instagram picture as good as Kylie Jenner.

Media creates this world where celebrities seem so much more important than normal people. Magazines only have certain girls on their covers. If you are thin, you are seen as beautiful. Media doesn’t like to celebrate different. Because of that, consumers like to hide their differences. Growing up I had bright red hair and pale skin. I didn’t feel confident because I thought the most beautiful girls had blonde hair and tan skin. Where did I get this idea? Media. But I think our differences are what make us most beautiful. Now, I think my hair is my best physical feature. It makes me stand out, which I love. I think it’s beautiful when a girl who is 5'11" is confident enough to wear heels. It’s refreshing when girls are confident enough to not wear makeup. So what if Beyoncé has a thigh gap? We should all feel beautiful in the skin were in.

Media has also created unrealistic expectations in the relationship department. Yes, I’m talking about The Notebook. We should all be looking for that guy who treats us right and with respect, but chick flicks have given us a form of fantasy. Sorry to burst your bubble, but a man probably isn’t going to build the dream house you described when you were 16. It just isn’t realistic. This causes unhappiness when that doesn’t happen to you. We are not in the Upper East Side, and you may not have the Chuck to your Blair, but you can be happy with the life that you have. We are all blessed in so many different ways and we should not lose confidence because we don’t have the "perfect" relationship.


Why do we idolize celebrities so much? For example, Carrie Underwood seemingly has the perfect life. I’m envious of her body, her husband, her singing talent, and her beauty. Every single one of these things is shallow. All of the reasons that I find myself inferior to these people are all superficial. Where will Carrie’s legs be in 10 years? Where will Kendall Jenner’s selfie taking ability get her? Most of the reason we are so consumed with celebrities is temporary. We should admire someone because they’re beautiful not only outside, but inside as well. The only thing that will matter in years is who you are on the inside. Outward beauty and fame is temporary, but being a kind, genuine person lasts a lifetime. The confidence you have in yourself should not come from Instagram likes or having the perfect beach bod, but in striving to be your best self.

Post Written by Guest Blogger, Sarah Wilson; Edited by UNA Panhellenic 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I enjoyed reading your post! You have great writing skills! Barbara Walton

    ReplyDelete